Wednesday, January 6, 2010

It's over!

Heart surgery for Mr.Downeastdoingstuff aka Birdman finally happened yesterday.

Surgery was scheduled for 12:30 pm. We went into the hospital in the morning and spent time with him until around 11, when they took him to the holding area for surgery. Not knowing where to go and how to get there in this massive hospital, the driver of the bed told us to come into the elevator with him and he would drop us off at the floor where the cardiac waiting rooms are.
That was one of the hardest parts, for us. Having said goodbye and wishing him well in his room, we now found ourselves leaving the elevator with Mr. DEDS/Birdman still inside. We tried to hold it together as best as we could for him, but were overwrought with emotion as the elevator door slowly shut with us on the outside waving goodbye to the inside of the elevator. 

The operation was supposed to take 2 1/2 hours and actually took 2 3/4 hours. Not bad.
The doctor came in and told us that everything went very, very well and he was happy with the outcome. His valve did NOT have to be replaced, just repaired. That was what we were hoping for. 

After about 45 minutes more, we were able to go into the ICU and see him. We were told that he would look terrible and to be prepared, but I think it was one of the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. There he was, not really bloated, pretty good color, breathing calmly with 20 million machines, tubes, wires and pumps all making sure my guy was alright. We stayed for about 5 minutes, talked to him a little and then left. I knew he didn't know we were there, but just in case he somehow subconsciously felt our presence, we wanted to be there. This was about 4:30, I guess. I lost track of time after diligently watching the clock during the surgery.

We had planned on going back in around 9:00, just in case he would wake up, but once we got home, we both discovered just how exhausted we were and decided not to take the 40 minute drive back. I called the hospital and they told me that he was starting to wake up, they were giving him ice chips to quench his massive thirst and the breathing tube was out. That was good news.

I went to work the next day (today) and while driving in, I got a phone call. It was Birdman!!!!
I was shocked beyond words. By 2:00 am, they had put him into a chair and by 6:00 am he was moved into a regular room! AND he sounded very good. Music to my ears.

We went in around 10:00 am for a quick visit. He was up in the chair again because he is the most comfortable there. This time he sounded quite a bit more tired, but still was very, very chatty! Talked nonstop. Voice was a little hoarse from breathing tube. Said he wasn't in very much pain, although a hiccup, cough or laugh made him uncomfortable.

Went back around 3:45 and stayed until around 6. He seemed a little more uncomfortable, but still good. He was quite tired and if I wasn't there, he probably would've dozed off right in the chair. He will be walking tomorrow.

I am soooo  tired, that's it for me. Hoping everyday gets better.


13 comments:

B SQUARED said...

Sounds like it was quite an ordeal for both of you. Glad to hear things worked out.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful news. I agree - you needed the sleep - that stress is unbelievable, even when you think you are handling it.

He sounds like he is progressing right on schedule - no sneezing, hiccupping, coughing or laughing please. :-) Some days he will be more tired - but slowly the energy returns.

annie'smom said...

I'm glad that he's doing so well! Why am I not surprised, however, that he was making phone calls yesterday morning?!! "Super" Birdman, I guess!
Take care of yourself too, Elenka!
xxoo

Pink Feather Paradise said...

Thinking of you and Mr DEDS... what a worry but I am sure all is progressing well...

big hugs and make sure you take care of yourself too... after all you have logs to fetch and carry and snow to rake! probably best to leave the snowblower in the garage though...;D

Alex
x

Evansmom said...

Great news!

brattcat said...

You are so good to keep us all informed, given how exhausted you must be. Thank you, Elenka. You tell that Birdman how proud we are of him.

Balisha said...

What a wonderful thing to hear this morning...I checked on you guys first thing today. Get some rest and hugs to you both.
Balisha

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to hear he's doing well and the surgery appears to be a success. I will continue to pray for a quick, problem-free recovery... HUGS!

Kathleen said...

Sounds like the Birdman is making good progress. God is good. Remember to be an advocate for your husband while he is in the hospital. Very important. And take good care of YOU. Will be waiting on another update. Hugs, Kathleen

Eclectic Chic Style said...

Wonderful news Elenka!!! Take care of him and you girly girl!!! Keep us posted.
Hugs ♥ Teresa

cam said...

Thanks, Elenka, for keeping us all up to date with the Birdman. It'll get better after he's home and adjusts to his new lifestyle of taking it easy for a while...
Take care of yourself, we love you!!
Florida checks in at 39 degress!!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

Very stressful time you have been through. I understand.

BumbleVee said...

OMG.... isn't it amazing how quickly they whip them in and out and how soon they seem to be feeling so chipper? it's just amazing.... I can never get over hearing about it...

as you can see, I'm scrolling backwards through postings ...first to last... so I don't know what happens next til I get to the next days... but, t his looks great....