Saturday, January 9, 2010

Fourth Day....

Today at around 3 it was exactly four days since the operation. We were told that this would be a roller coaster ride, and so far it has been.

Today Mr. Downeastdoingstuff experienced what they think was like a panic attack. He had just finished eating supper and felt bloated and warm. Went into the bathroom and then he just didn't feel right. Nurse came in and his numbers were a little off, but soon came back to normal. Later a doctor came in and explained that this could happen. It needs to be mind over matter. But I still find it worrisome.

Now they say he's probably coming home on Monday. I would rather that anyway, because then, at 10:00 am we can both go to a little class on what to do and expect when going home after heart surgery. They don't offer this class on Sundays. Also, apparently, a visiting nurse will come out and evaluate what he might and might not need at home. ( Guess I need to clean the house!)

He's is also struggling with nasal congestion, something he gets even at home. The air is so dry in room at the hospital. They finally brought him a humidifier to use.

His roommate went home tonight, 2 days after a lung operation!!!! Good grief! Just a young guy.

So I'm home. It's 10 degrees out and I stopped for some groceries on the way home around 10 pm.

So......tomorrow is another day.

9 comments:

Eclectic Chic Style said...

aw, poor guy, I hope he's feeling better soon and back in tip top shape soon. Those anxiety attacks can be horrible. I hope you are resting and taking good care of yourself as well!! Hopefully he'll be coming home soon, he'll rest and recover so much better.
Take care!!
♥ Teresa

brattcat said...

Hang in there. His body has taken such a major invasive assault. Of course he's going to respond to that as he begins to heal. And you have had a major emotional assault. Be kind to yourself. It's scary having a fragile Birdman, either in the hospital, or at home. But take it a day at a time and pretty soon you'll both be walking more confidently through this recovery.

Balisha said...

I can only repeat what the above comment says. Just hang in there and keep positive thoughts coming. This is easy to say, but hard to do when you see someone you love in distress.I think it wise to stay till Monday, so you can attend the class. When you get home...so many questions arise and not knowing can be difficult. When he does come home, don't be worried about calling the doctor about questions. That's what they want you to do. Have a restful day and I'm sending you both a hug.
Balisha

Balisha said...

Hi Elenka,
Just talked to my hubby, who is a retired registered nurse, and he thinks that your hubby may be frightened about coming home and leaving the safety of the hospital. Heart surgery or anything to do with the heart can cause anxiety.You know that this "thing" is beating and keeping you alive and you have, seemingly,no control over it. He has just had this major surgery and his emotions are taking over.It's perfectly normal. After my recent surgery...I could cry at the drop of a hat and wanted to stay in the hospital and come home both at the same time.Things will get better with time.. at home, where he is loved and cared for.
I hope that this helps you. Things will be OK.
Love, Balisha

Lois said...

I found your blog through the comments on your husband's blog. My sister had an aortic valve replaced 8 years ago and I took care of her when she came home. Don't worry you will do fine! One of the things I learned with my sister the first morning she was home was how much pain she would be in when she first woke up in the mornings. I made sure to have her pain medication right next to her bed with some water so she could take it before she even sat up. It helped immensely. I think the panic attacks are common too and yes do not be afraid to call the doctor with questions no matter how trivial!

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Ahhh that is too bad, but I think these things are common and the medical community can give you lots of support and help in understanding what he (and you) will go through emotionally. It is indeed a scary time - but I know you are both strong and can face this. Sometimes thinking about something before it happens can cause more stress than actually going through it.

I used a spreadsheet when Don first came home - with times for everything - meds, exercise, meals, shots, appts and it really calmed me. You are lucky to have the home health evaluation - for things like a shower chair, a walker if necessary (Don never needed a walker, but he sure loved that shower chair).

Take a deep breath - this will work out and before you know it - you will be 7 months out from the surgery (Tuesday is 7 months for Don).

Love and big hugs!!!

Anonymous said...

Think positive thoughts. I echo the sentiments of the previous posters...

HUGS!

Kathleen said...

Be sure to take care of yourself, so you can take care of the Birdman. You are a brave woman, and you can do this. blessings and prayers your way....hug, Kathlees

Evansmom said...

Thinking of BOTH of you.