Friday, September 2, 2011

What happens when you get old....

A couple of days ago I was attempting to clean the attic. Well, not really clean, but move things around and pretend to clean. Now and then I find something to throw out and something to give to Goodwill, but most of the time I just give all the junk a new spot.

As I was going through some old photographs, I found this one.

I couldn't remember who's house it was or why I took the photo, but there was something extremely familiar about it. I'm guessing it was taken in 1984. Mostly because it said 1984 on the back.

(Remember the old days when you had to take the film to the Drug Store to be developed?)

For the life of me I couldn't figure out why that photo rung a bell. It was haunting. I had to stop working, it was so disconcerting.

Then it dawned on me. Last summer, as we drove up to spend the day in Belfast, we stopped along Route 1 and took a picture of a weird house. Could this possibly be that house?

I checked my i photos and sure enough, there it was....


See what happens when you don't take care of yourself for 27 years?*&^%%$#@

15 comments:

Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

oh my what a shame! gosh that is really something!

smiles, bee
xoxoxoxoox

Unknown said...

That's almost exactly what's happened to me in the last 27 years!

joanne said...

I feel it's pain...*sigh*

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

So sad. Wonder how we would all feel if we put photos of ourselves from 27 years ago next to today's photo?

Butch said...

That house looks like what I feel like. 27 yrs. ago I could do what has taken me 2-1/2 days in maybe one, installing lattice under my decks. My joints hurt and the muscles are sore. Looks as if this place has the same issues,so much so that the roof line has collapse due to weak muscles. I bet the doors squeek like my joints do when I move. Do bad you don't know why you took the original picture.

Great shot!

brattcat said...

ah, yes, i've been musing along the same lines. no more red lipstick, and a sagging back. yup.

Traveling Bells said...

Poor ole thang. That's a lotta neglect...

Lois said...

I have days where I feel a little like that! How sad for the house that it was allowed to deteriorate so badly.

marchin o'neachtain said...

antioxdents, workouts, and thinking young should keep me in good shape, eh?

Balisha said...

This makes me sad...Balisha

Sharon Creech said...

But wait, wait - what a story here. I want to know why you have that first photo, and what subconscious urge led you to take the second photo and why the house fell into such neglect and and and.............

Sharon Creech said...

Now you've made me stop working. We drove Rt 1 up to Belfast this summer. Did we see that house? Is that why it's haunting me? Was the road not there when the first pic was taken? aye yie yie

Robin Larkspur said...

Hello up there in Maine from down here in Syracuse NY!!! I just wandered over from Fearless Nesting blog and have spent a very pleasant visit with your blog, your photos, your hilarious commentary and your amazing and beautiful paintings. I look forward to visiting you again soon. The dreadful aftermath of neglect for this poor house is so sad. It must have been so beautiful at one time. Ta! Robin.

Lili said...

OMGosh! We just passed this house on our way back from Searsport the other day and Henri missed it and he wouldn't turn around for me to show him! Ha! Now I've got a pic for him to see thanks to you. Wow that's so amazing about the 27 years ago pic, amazing and scary what neglect can do. ~Lili

Anonymous said...

Hi..A photographer in my area of Rochester NY took a picture of this house and posted it on facebook. I commented on how when I have intence dreams, of being in a house...well this is the house!!! I've never been to this area of Maine, unless I was a small child in the '60's!! She found your blog and past it to me! I am in a dream Deja vu! Do we know any names of owners?