Sunday, September 5, 2010

Godspeed 'Opihi'.....

My good friend D had to say goodbye to her beloved dog a few days ago. Her sweet, tail wagging pup went in and out of this antique door many, many times. 'Opihi's name is Hawaiian in origin, but I'm sorry to say I don't remember what it means.

She was almost 16 years old. I know D did everything she could to take care of her over the past year in her declining health. I know 'Opihi will be sorely missed. 

I'm sure D's chickens will be wondering where their crazy friend is.

D spent many years in Hawaii and when I heard Israel Kamakawiwo'ole sing this song quite accidentally today, I thought of D and her pup. 

He did a beautiful rendition of Somewhere over the Rainbow, which I'm sure is where 'Opihi is, looking down on us all........ (click on this video)

So sorry, my friend.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Pets become family members and are missed as such!

Traveling Bells said...

Condolences. We had to put our Parker kitty down almost two years ago, and it still hurts...

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Lovely and a sweet remembrance. I had heard this song before and thought it was the most gentle and heartfelt version I had ever listened to. Thanks for sharing it today.

Balisha said...

Losing a pet is such a hard thing. They become part of the family and can never be forgotten. Balisha

Lili said...

What a sweet tribute to Opihi, I just love that version of that song. Very fitting for your friend's pet that has crossed over the rainbow bridge. ~Lili

Debbie said...

I am so sorry! It's so darned hard to lose a beloved pet...it's heart breaking. As you know, we are dealing with our Jack Russell and his diabetes. Some days it is so hard but he is like our child. Two family members have had to put their dogs down recently and my daughter's dog had to have a 1400.00 surgery! Condolences to your friend...hugs and more hugs for being such a wonderful mom to her baby. This video really floored me. I am not in the loop....where the heck have I been for the past few years that I did NOT even know who he was??? I of course had heard this song and loved it but never investigated it any further! Now I am looking him up all over the place! I love his voice!! I am so sorry he died so young....that's tragic and of course his weight ballooned so badly....poor guy...I kind of know what that's about on a smaller scale but still. What else do you know about that I haven't seen? Ha!

Deb Shucka said...

I'm sorry for your friend's loss. The death of a beloved pet is a very particular and poignant grief to bear.

This song by Iz is my favorite - of all songs anywhere. What a genius he was.

Kathleen said...

I, too, never knew who sng this song, but always loved this version.
The loss of a dear companion hurts to your very inner core. Those of us who have had sweet, loving pets, know all too well the pain involved. They will both be in my prayers.
Hugs, Kathleen